The coding period has ended. I have submitted my final evaluation and now waiting for the final results to be announced. This post is a wrap up of what happened through the summer and the current status of the project I was working on.
The project I chose, Profile in the Cloud (PiCl) is a fairly new project which is under heavy development. I joined the project in the prototyping stage. When the GSoC started, there was no stable backend for storage or authorization (none exist even now ). There were prototypical servers called picl-keyserver and picl-server for authorization and storage respectively. We initially started building the client on top of picl-keyserver. I used the picl-contacts-dev branch to push the code. After, completing the keyserver implementation, I started researching on possible ways to merge contacts on the client.
As we proceeded, the back-end changed several times. Currently, the project I proposed is around 70-80% complete. It gets an assertion from the Persona idp and interacts with the sync 1.1 server. It also has a contacts wrapper which reads contacts and will ultimately be used to merge as well. I currently, do not have a working merge algorithm in the code but it won’t take much time time to plug in the code as we had already done a bit of research back in the 3rd & 4th week. Also, the functionality of automatic sync is currently not integrated due to lack of time.
Most of the work got delayed/could not complete because of a lot of moving parts in the back-end. I will continue working on the project even after GSoC and will hopefully be able to create quality production level code in a couple of months with the help from Jed and the rest of the identity team.
Tags: firefox os, gaia, gsoc, profile in the cloud